Staff & Leadership
Griff Gatewood, Pastor | firstname.lastname@example.org
Griff loves serving as pastor at First Presbyterian. He is deeply grateful to the Triune God for the privilege of gathering the Lord's people around the scriptures, around the table of the Lord's Supper, and around the baptismal fount. Griff graduated from Wake Forest in 1999 and Duke Divinity School in 2013. Between those times he worked in the housing industry and taught high school English. He is married to Elizabeth and is father to Anna Louise (6) and Griffin (4+),Kathryn (2) and expects a son this summer. If you'd like to sit down with Griff and hear more about FPCMA click here to schedule a meeting time.
Loida P. Slate, Director of Children's Ministry and Musical Offerings | email@example.com
The Session of FPCMA
According to the Book of Order of PC (USA) each church shall elect a Session comprised of members of the congregation. The purpose of the Session will be to lead and guide the congregation as they interpret the calling of the Holy Spirit.
Class of 2021
Class of 2022
Mary Ellen Goad
Class of 2023
The Session and Organizational Structure for Ministry:
- In the Presbyterian Church, our form of government is representative, meaning the congregation elects its leaders to make decisions for the church and to define and carry out its mission.
- This elected body is collectively called, the Session. The Session is comprised of teaching elders (pastor or minister) and ruling elders (elected members of the church).
- First Presbyterian Church of Mount Airy has 12 ruling elders, three classes of 4 elders, each serving a three year term, plus the pastor or teaching elder. Our Session meets the third Sunday every month, except for July.
- In addition, there is at least one youth elder, serving a one year term.
- For several years, there has been a Clerk for the Session, a ruling elder who is not currently an active member of the Session, but one who does a splendid job of record keeping and communicating.